Sidmouth Road Welling Kent DA16 1DR Tel: 020 8303 4949 Email: email@example.com
At Hillsgrove we are committed to supporting all pupils to ensure they reach their full potential and can
access the curriculum effectively. The links below and our policy set out ways to support EAL pupils.
Information for parents:
• www.dgteaz.org.uk/resources/letters.htm- Excellent site for standard letters for parents translated into a wide range of languages
• www.parentcentre.gov.uk - a DfES website that provides leaflets and information aboutthe English education system available in 14 different languages
Useful websites for new arrivals – includes bilingual resources:
• www.bfinclusion.org.uk - This is the EAL website for Bracknell Forest. It features advice from the EAL Handbook as well as links to the best websites for resources, translations etc. The aim is to provide a one-stop shop for teachers in Bracknell Forest. The resources section is comprehensive with a New to English page which is particularly useful.
• www.eurydice.org/Eurybase/framesset_eurybase.html - information about education systems within Europe
• www.bbc.co.uk/languages - This BBC website features information about and courses on European languages. Go to the page www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/quickfix to see and hear a few common words and phrases in 36 languages. Very useful if you want the class to learn welcoming phrases before a new pupil arrives.
• www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk/langofmonth -This award winning primary school website features 28 languages with more to come. Suitable for an interactive whiteboard as well as individual use. It covers useful words and phrases, resource packs and sound files for teachers who want to focus on a language of the month with their classrooms.
• www.enchantedlearning.com : offers downloadable worksheets in seven languages, e.g. Portuguese, Spanish. Particularly good for material suited to the EAL beginner.
• www.inclusion.ngfl.gov.uk – Becta’s free resources such as sheets with common ICT terms and computer-related phrases translated from English into other languages. Sheets with drawings of science equipment and safety rules are also available in many languages.
EAL Interactive Websites:
http://a4esl.org/ - EAL online activities with bilingual quizzes in many languages.
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/ - Online books in many languages.
http://iteslj.org/v/ei/body.html - Body Parts Quiz
http://iteslj.org/v/ei/colors.html - Naming Colours
http://www.littlelearner.eu/ - EAL audio visual resources in Polish, romanian and Lithuanian. includes a useful Polish admissions tool